FileZilla is an easy-to-use freely available ftp-style program to transfer files to and from your account on the clusters.
You can also put FileZilla with your private key on a USB stick to access your files from any internet-connected PC.
Configuration of FileZilla to connect to a login node
Note: Pageant should be running and your private key should be loaded first (more info on our "Using Pageant" page).
- Start FileZilla;
- Open the Site Manager using the 'File' menu;
- Create a new site by clicking the New Site button;
- In the tab marked General, enter the following values (all other fields remain blank):
- Host: vsc.login.node, the name of the login node of your home institute VSC cluster
- Servertype: SFTP - SSH File Transfer Protocol
- Logontype: Normal
- User: your own VSC user ID, e.g., vsc98765;
- Optionally, rename this setting to your liking by pressing the 'Rename' button;
- Press 'Connect' and enter your passphrase when requested.
Note that recent versions of FileZilla have a screen in the settings to manage private keys. The path to the private key must be provided in options (Edit Tab -> options -> connection -> SFTP):
After that you should be able to connect after being asked for passphrase. As an alternative you can choose to use putty pageant.